South Korea tensions prompt US to shorten joint military drills by nearly half
Amid South Korea tensions, South Korea and the United States agreed to cut short their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield joint military exercise at the request of U.S. President Donald Trump, ending the drills on Friday instead of the originally scheduled August 27. [1]
Allies Shorten Ulchi Freedom Shield Exercise
The allies agreed to cut short the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise to Friday, paring down the drills period almost by half. [1] The UFS was scheduled to run from Aug. 17-27. [1] Field training exercises, a core part of the drills, will also be reduced to some extent, with discussions under way between the two militaries to decide on the detailed plans. [1] The Combined Forces Command is already conducting the exercise out of two separate command posts at the wartime CP Tango bunker in Seongnam and at Camp Humphreys, the main U.S. base in Pyeongtaek, 53 kilometers south of the capital. [1] Camp Humphreys serves as the CFC's peacetime headquarters. [1] Having split the command posts reflects the readjustment in the scope of the UFS. [1] South Korea and the United States agreed to discuss and carry out various measures going forward to achieve the objectives of the UFS exercise and establish a robust combined defense posture. [1] The allies will complete the first, defensive phase of the exercise this week and cancel the second phase involving counter-attack operations. [4]
Trump's Directive and Pentagon Response
The announcement comes after U.S. President Donald Trump called for substantially scaling down joint South Korea-U.S. military drills in a social media post on Sunday, citing a cost burden and his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. [1] The U.S. Defense Department said earlier it was actively working to execute Trump's directive on the allies' military exercises. [1] The Pentagon stated that the adjustments preserve essential readiness with no degradation to training objectives. [2] Signs of adjustments to the schedule emerged Tuesday as U.S. Forces Korea Commander Gen. Xavier Brunson, who doubles as the CFC commander, made an unannounced visit to the defense ministry in Seoul for a meeting with Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back. [1] The UFS is mainly conducted on two tracks, a simulation-based command post exercise and a large-scale field training exercise. [1] The allies said earlier they had planned to carry out 14 field maneuvers at the battalion level or above this year, down from 17 conducted last year. [1]
Context of Prior Drill Adjustments
The allies scaled back their joint drills in 2019 during Trump's first term, when the high-stakes nuclear diplomacy with Pyongyang was at its peak. [1] The UFS is primarily designed to train for contingencies against North Korea. [1] Ulchi is largely a computer-simulated command post exercise meant to hone the allies' ability to deal with potential regional security threats like North Korean aggression. [4] The two countries usually hold field training exercises during the command post exercise period. [4]
North Korea's Reaction
North Korea on Wednesday continued to denounce a joint military exercise between South Korea and the United States, even after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered a scaling back of combined drills with Seoul. [5] The North slammed the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise that kicked off Monday for an 11-day run, vowing to completely neutralize the enemies military threat and exercise its right to self-defense, according to the Korean Central News Agency. [5] North Korea's exercise of its right to self-defense will continue to completely neutralize the enemies' military threat until the enemy states give up their reckless dream of overwhelming someone by force. [5] All the war drills for aggression staged by the enemy states in the Korean peninsula and the region will never produce the results desired by them. [5] The commentary criticized the exercise at length, claiming the joint drills had grown more sophisticated and increasingly geared toward actual combat. [5] All the elements of the war drill have been developing into extremely dangerous ones, quite different from the past ones. [5] The KCNA also targeted what it described as the expanding role of the US-led UN Command, which it said had played only an auxiliary role in the UFS exercise only a few years ago, as now moving to revive its combat function in earnest. [5]
Speculation on Renewed Diplomacy
Wednesday's announcement comes amid growing speculation for a resumption of dialogue between Trump and Kim. [1] The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that Trump is pushing for another in-person meeting with Pyongyang's reclusive leader this fall, possibly during his trip to China where he is scheduled to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit. [1]
What to watch next: Reports indicate Trump is pushing for another in-person meeting with Kim this fall, possibly during his trip to China for the APEC summit.







