Iran Tensions Rise as 60-Day US Memorandum Expires Without Deal
Iran tensions have risen after the 60-day US-Iran memorandum expired on Monday without a final agreement, leaving Washington weighing options of intensified pressure or renewed strikes while both sides issue conflicting statements on talks and the status of the Strait of Hormuz. [1]
Expiration of the June Memorandum
The 60-day deadline set by the June US-Iran memorandum is now over, and no final agreement is in place. [1] The temporary intent agreement between the United States and Iran, reached on June 17, ran out on Monday. [2] It was meant to pave the way for a permanent solution, yet both parties broke several points in the agreement over the summer. [2] With the 60-day period concluded and no final deal reached, Washington faces a choice between intensifying pressure, renewing major strikes, or settling into a prolonged and unstable holding pattern. [1]
Conflicting Statements on Negotiations
Iran states it remains open to dialogue with the United States but insists negotiations are not surrender, according to Mohammad Mokhber and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. [2] A statement from Mohammad Mokhber, reported by the semi-official Iranian news agency Fars, affirmed that Iran is still open to talks with the US, though negotiations must not be confused with capitulation. [2] Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi says Washington is now “begging” to negotiate on Iranian conditions after failing to force Tehran to surrender. [3] President Trump posted on Truth Social that no talks are occurring or planned. [2] On Tuesday, Donald Trump wrote on Truth Social that there are neither ongoing nor scheduled conversations between the two countries. [2] Trump’s son-in-law and special envoy Jared Kushner said on Monday that “solid talks” are underway. [2] The same day, Trump shared that no conversations are taking place or scheduled with Iran. [3]
Dispute Over the Strait of Hormuz
Iran rejects Trump’s claims, maintains the Strait of Hormuz is closed, and shipping data showed only single-digit vessels passing through on Tuesday compared to over 50 daily before the conflict. [2] Trump also wrote that the US naval blockade of Iranian ports continues and that all sea mines in the Strait of Hormuz have been cleared. [2] He stated that all sea mines have been removed or detonated. [2] Iran rejects this position and maintains that the strait remains closed. [2] Shipping tracking data on Tuesday indicated only a single-digit number of vessels passed through the strait, whereas the figure was typically over 50 ships per day before the conflict broke out. [2] Donald Trump says that no conversations are taking place or scheduled with Iran, while maintaining that the US naval blockade remains in full force and mines in the Strait of Hormuz have been cleared. [3]
Russian Resupply to Iran
Russia is reportedly shipping drone components, ammunition and explosives to Iran via the Caspian Sea to replenish stockpiles depleted by US and Israeli strikes. [4] NBC News reported on Tuesday that the shipments are traveling across the Caspian Sea to help Tehran replenish military stockpiles damaged by US and Israeli strikes. [4] Russia is reportedly shipping drone components, ammunition, and explosives to Iran to help Tehran replenish military stockpiles damaged by US and Israeli strikes, according to NBC News. [5]
Risk of Further Escalation
A senior Iranian official warned the country is ready for military escalation, though no new attacks from either side had been reported as of early Wednesday. [2] The same day a high-ranking Iranian official signaled that the country is prepared for military buildup. [2] As of early Wednesday morning, no reports of attacks from either the United States or Iran had emerged. [2]
What to watch next is whether Washington chooses intensified pressure or renewed strikes, or whether the conflicting positions on talks and the Strait of Hormuz lead to any shift in the current holding pattern.







