Iran Considers Attacks on US Military Sites in Europe if Trump Escalates Conflict
Amid rising Iran tensions, Iran is considering strikes on US military targets in southeastern Europe, including bases in Bulgaria and Cyprus, as well as submarine fiber-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz if President Donald Trump escalates the conflict, according to sources cited by the Financial Times. [1][4]
Iran Weighs Strikes on US Targets in Europe
Two sources within the Iranian regime told the Financial Times that Iranian forces have analyzed options to strike American objectives in southeastern Europe. [1][4] Bulgaria approved the use of its Bezmer air base for refueling American aircraft last month, placing it among the sites under review. [1] Cyprus also appeared on the list of possible targets for retaliation, with one source noting that a British air base there had already been hit by a drone in March. [1] The same sources indicated that Iranian forces evaluated striking submarine fiber-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz should the conflict escalate further. [4] These considerations reflect the prevailing mood in Tehran, where many within the regime now view the return of war as a matter of time. [4]
NATO Declares Readiness to Defend
NATO responded that its deterrence and defense posture is strong, citing four successful interceptions of Iranian ballistic missiles heading toward Turkey earlier this year. [1][4] An alliance official stated that NATO will always do what is necessary to defend all member states and affirmed that the posture has already proven effective. [4] The remarks came directly in response to questions about the Financial Times article on potential Iranian actions against US sites in Europe. [1]
Trump Administration Halts Talks With Tehran
The US has shifted to a long-term strategy of gradually choking Iran economically and militarily after halting talks with Tehran, coinciding with reduced shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. [4] President Donald Trump instructed his top envoys, including Vice President JD Vance and envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, to cease engagement with Tehran. [4] White House officials informed political allies that the administration is moving from rapid pressure to a gradual long-term squeeze. [4] The diplomatic freeze follows weeks of pushing for positive developments without significant success and marks a departure from earlier claims that talks were progressing well. [4]
Strait of Hormuz Shipping Disrupted
Two Chinese-linked supertankers altered course in the Strait of Hormuz amid heightened shipping risks, while a vessel was attacked by an unknown projectile off the Omani coast. [4] Preliminary data showed only six ships crossing the strait on Tuesday. [4] The tanker Sea V, carrying Iraqi crude oil, changed route and anchored in the middle of the strait, while the tanker Hestia crossed into the Gulf along the Omani coast before reversing direction. [4] The British Navy reported that a vessel was attacked by an unknown projectile while leaving the Gulf along the Omani coast. [4] Iran’s chief negotiator stated the Strait of Hormuz will not reopen until the US lifts its naval blockade, cancels oil sanctions and ends military operations. [4]
UAE Cuts All Economic Ties With Iran
The UAE suspended all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran after detecting two ballistic missiles launched from Iran toward its territory, which it said targeted maritime navigation; Iran denied the claim. [5] UAE air defenses detected the missiles, with the first falling outside territorial waters and the second within them. [5] A later statement clarified that the missiles were targeting maritime navigation and fell into the sea. [5] Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei categorically rejected the claim. [5] The suspension follows earlier UAE measures, including recalling its ambassador, shutting Iran-linked schools and a hospital, and ordering the closure of an Iranian state-linked hospital in Dubai along with a community center. [5]
Cybersecurity Warnings Linked to Iran
Several US government agencies warned that unidentified hackers are trying to breach devices made by Siemens that are used to monitor and operate water facilities and other critical infrastructure systems, according to a cybersecurity advisory published Wednesday. [3] The alert comes amid fears of Iranian breaches at water plants. [3]
What to watch next: Iranian forces continue to assess options for strikes on US targets in Europe and undersea cables if escalation occurs, while vessel transits through the Strait of Hormuz remain low and NATO maintains its defense posture demonstrated by prior interceptions.







