Sudan Conflict Displaces Over 200,000 in Kordofan as Fighting Intensifies
More than 200,000 people have been newly displaced across Sudan’s Kordofan region due to intensified fighting since late last year, according to the UN’s International Organization for Migration. The Sudan conflict has driven repeated waves of movement as families seek safety from ongoing clashes and strikes on essential services.
Displacement Surge in Kordofan
Displacement in Kordofan’s Sheikan district, which includes el-Obeid, has surged 25 percent over the past eight months. [1] More than 200,000 people have been newly displaced across the wider Kordofan region since late last year amid heavy fighting and drone strikes. [2] The UN’s International Organization for Migration reported the increase on Wednesday as part of a broader alert on the scale of movement inside the country. [1] IOM Director General Amy Pope stated that the warning signs are impossible to ignore, noting that families continue to flee violence while losing access to basic services. [1]
Infrastructure Attacks in el-Obeid
{IMAGE_2}
In el-Obeid, drone attacks by the RSF on the city’s main power transformer have knocked out electricity needed to pump water, run hospitals and keep phone lines working. [1] Repeated strikes have triggered prolonged power outages that disrupt water pumping, health facilities and telecommunications across the city. [2] Reporting from one of the main roads leading to el-Obeid shows that RSF drones have targeted army vehicles, oil tankers and cargo trucks on supply routes. [1] The RSF maintains positions south and west of the city and continues attacking nearby villages, further worsening conditions for residents. [1] El-Obeid had a population of 750,000 before the war, but authorities now estimate it has reached 3.4 million. [1] Save the Children reported that nearly 39,000 children have arrived in the city in the first six months of this year. [1]
Displacement in Other Regions
In Blue Nile state, some 78,000 people have also fled their homes. [1] Clashes in and near Geissan displaced 7,800 people, with some crossing into Ethiopia. [2] In West Darfur, about 18,000 others were displaced in the first half of August. [1] Meanwhile, significant numbers of people continue to return to Khartoum, according to IOM. [2]
Flooding Compounds Crisis
{IMAGE_3}
Heavy rains in North Darfur’s Tawila area have damaged nearly 1,350 homes, displacing more than 1,000 families. [1] Additional flooding in the towns of Kabkabiya and Shangil Tobaya forced dozens of families into temporary shelters. [2] Seasonal flooding has compounded the displacement crisis caused by the war between Sudan’s army and the Rapid Support Forces that erupted in 2023. [1] IOM Director General Amy Pope noted that families are now facing the added burden of destructive floods on top of conflict and infrastructure damage. [1]
Broader War Impact
The Sudan conflict has killed at least 59,000 people and forced some 14 million people from their homes. [1] Across Sudan today, a total of 8.6 million people have fled the war since it began in April 2023. [2] More than 4.2 million people have also fled to neighbouring countries. [1] Some 33.7 million people require humanitarian assistance, according to the UN. [1] Sudan is one of the world’s largest displacement crises, IOM Director General Amy Pope said, adding that the combined impact of conflict, infrastructure damage and flooding is stretching thousands of families beyond their limits. [1]
Humanitarian Response
In the last 72 hours, IOM has delivered 1,750 metric tons of humanitarian supplies, including 17,750 hygiene kits and 850 tents, already directly benefiting 110,750 people in areas where needs are most acute. [2] This total will rise to over 400,000 over the coming days. [2] Relief access has been disrupted further by ongoing delays in global supply chains, particularly through the Red Sea and Strait of Hormuz. [2] IOM Director General Amy Pope said the agency is committed to delivering lifesaving aid, but urgent support is needed to sustain shelter and pipeline operations before conditions worsen further. [2]
What to watch next: IOM has warned that without urgent action to protect civilians and restore essential services, the suffering will deepen as seasonal floods and continued strikes add pressure to an already fragile humanitarian response.





