Iran War Extends USS Lincoln Deployment to 250 Days as Senators Demand Hegseth Account for Crew Crisis
The U.S.-Iran ceasefire memorandum of understanding expires on August 17, 2026, with no extension agreed and negotiations stalled, as a group of U.S. senators criticizes the Trump administration's decision to start the war with Iran for exacerbating poor conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln after nearly 250 days at sea.
Expiration of U.S.-Iran Ceasefire Agreement
The 14-point MoU signed in June to halt military operations for 60 days has unraveled with mutual accusations of violations, particularly over control of the Strait of Hormuz. [2] Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran has not decided whether to restart negotiations with the United States. [2] He said messages are being exchanged through mediators but stressed that this does not amount to formal negotiations. [2] The expiration of the MoU does not necessarily mean fighting will immediately resume, but the lack of a clear extension and the absence of formal negotiations leave the ceasefire highly fragile. [2] Disputes over the status of Hormuz and the broader terms of the ceasefire have since become major obstacles to diplomacy. [2]
Strait of Hormuz Disruptions and Mediation
Kpler data showed that no vessels passed through the waterway on Sunday, compared with 31 vessels on the same day a week earlier. [2] Araghchi said Iran and Oman are negotiating a temporary route to facilitate the safe passage of vessels through the strait, which could eventually become a permanent arrangement. [2] He said, however, that the full reopening of Hormuz depends on conditions that Washington must meet. [2] President Donald Trump has said the United States would maintain control over the strategic waterway, while Washington has continued to press Tehran economically and militarily. [2] The uncertainty is also affecting global energy markets. [2] Hormuz is a major route for oil and gas shipments, and the sharp decline in vessel traffic has raised concerns about further disruption to global supplies. [2]
{IMAGE_2}
Conditions Aboard USS Abraham Lincoln
Lincoln has spent nearly 250 consecutive days at sea without making land since its departure from San Diego in November 2025. [1] The USS Lincoln was redirected to the Middle East as the war with Iran began and has remained there as that war has dragged on with no clear endpoint. [1] US military newspapers Navy Times and Stars and Stripes last week reported that several service members had attempted to jump overboard, citing concerned family members. [1] Footage purporting to show the poor conditions aboard Lincoln was published in a TikTok post by a US Navy sailor on Sunday. [1] The footage, allegedly recorded onboard the ship, shows one of the carrier's bathrooms, with the sailor describing the conditions as "atrocious." [1] Text messages attributed to another sailor aboard the Lincoln describe the alleged food shortages onboard, saying that they "haven't had anything fresh but meat cause it's freezed." [1] The supply ship that comes here can't bring fruits and stuff cause it can't stay fresh enough with the time it gets them to get here. [1] Sometimes it gets here rotten. [1] Even people that have been deployed a hundred times claim this one to be the worst. [1] The Navy does not care. [1]
Senators Demand Accountability from Hegseth
Twelve US officials have sent a formal letter to US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth regarding the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier, demanding "honest answers" to reports of deteriorating conditions and mental health crises onboard the ship. [1] The senators argued in their letter that the situation on Lincoln was "preventable" and similar to issues USS Gerald R. Ford faced during its over 300-day deployment earlier this year. [1] "This is a symptom of poor planning by both you [Hegseth] and the President and exacerbated by the deeply unsound decision to start a war with Iran," stated the letter. [1] The letter was signed by US Committee on Armed Services Ranking Member and Senator Jack Reed (Rhode Island), Senator Gary C. Peters (Michigan), Senator Jeanne Shaheen (New Hampshire), Senator Mark Kelly (Arizona), Senator Tim Kaine (Virginia), Vice Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee Patty Murray, Senator Richard Blumenthal (Connecticut), Senator Mazie K. Hirono (Hawaii), Senator Tammy Duckworth (Illinois), Senator Elissa Slotkin (Michigan), Senator Kirstin Gillibrand (New York), and Senator Angus S. King Jr (Maine). [1] Last week, Blumenthal sent his own letter to Hegseth and Acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao about Lincoln. [1] Blumenthal granted the US Navy until August 27 to provide answers. [1] The senators presented Hegseth with a list of 12 questions about Lincoln's current status, living conditions, morale, and the health of its crew, as well as the well-being of the families of the service members onboard, and demanded written answers. [1]
{IMAGE_3}
Economic Impact on Middle East Aviation
As the US and Israel launched air strikes on Iran on 28 February 2026, Iran struck back near US military installations in the Gulf, including in Qatar and the UAE. [4] Several international airports were hit by Iranian strikes, including Dubai, the world's busiest for international passengers, as well as Abu Dhabi, Kuwait and Bahrain. [4] The UAE, Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait closed their airspaces due to safety concerns, gradually reopening them a week later as hostilities lessened. [4] The International Air Transport Association's (IATA) June outlook estimated that airlines operating from the Middle East will see a $7.2bn net profit in 2025 become a $4.3bn net loss in 2026. [4] Most major regional carriers have resumed operations, including Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways, but not at full capacity. [4] Emirates CEO Tim Clark told the Financial Times in June his planes were flying at three-quarters capacity. [4] Conversely, most European and Asian airlines' flights in the region remain suspended. [4] Air France expects to resume in late August and Lufthansa in September, while British Airways, Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines are all targeting late October. [4] Air Canada is not planning to resume before mid-January 2027. [4] The EU Aviation Safety Agency’s most recent bulletin advises operators to “avoid the airspace of Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, the UAE and part of the Gulf of Oman until 31 August 2026”. [4] Middle East cargo demand grew roughly a third slower than the rest of the industry’s, at 5.6 percent year on year, behind the global rate of 8.5 percent. [4] As of 10 August, overall private jet traffic originating in Gulf countries was down 46.5 percent since the war began. [4]
Iranian Statements on the Conflict
Iran slams Canada's participation in US war on Iran. [3] 'Ottawa participates in the US-led unlawful war of choice against Iran, to appease Washington!' says Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman. [3] A top Iranian commander declared Saturday that Tehran's performance in its nearly six-month war with the United States had demonstrated the power of Islam. [5]
What to watch next: Oman’s mediation efforts and the negotiations over maritime access through Hormuz could provide one of the few remaining channels for de-escalation, while the US Navy has until August 27 to respond to questions on the Lincoln deployment.






